Head of the Department of Architecture
Professor of Sustainable Design
Wolfson College (Fellow)
Director of Studies for St Edmund's College
Member of the Energy@Cambridge Strategic Advisory Board
An architect and environmental design specialist, Koen's current work deals with the architectural and urban implications of environmental issues. He is Professor of Sustainable Design in the Department of Architecture, was Director of the Martin Centre for Architectural and Urban Studies (03-08), and is a Director of Cambridge Architectural Research Ltd.
Departments and Institutes
- Department of Architecture:
- Head of Department
Koen's research activities are focused on the environmental performance of buildings and cities - with a particular interest in human perception and behaviour - which are the topics of funded research projects and his PhD students. Current major funded research projects include:
- "Energy Efficient Cities" (Sep 08 – Aug 13) - EPSRC, £2.9m.
- "ReVISIONS: Regional visions of integrated sustainable infrastructure optimized for neighbourhoods" (Apr 08 – Sept 12) - EPSRC, £3.3m.
- "Low Carbon Urban Design" (July 12 – June 14) - Tsinghua, $600k
Koen has over 150 outputs, including 10 books ranging in subject matter from "Sustainable Urban and Architectural Design" (2006) to "Environmental Diversity in Architecture" (2004) and "Daylight Design of Buildings" (2002).
Recent journal articles include:
- V. Cheng and K. Steemers, (2011), ‘Modelling domestic energy consumption at district scale: A tool to support national and local energy policies’, Environmental Modelling and Software, Elsevier, vol. 26, no. 10, October 2010, pp. 1186-1198, doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2011.04.005.
- G. Y. Yun and K. Steemers, (2011), ‘Behavioural, physical and socio-economic factors in household cooling energy consumption’, Applied Energy, vol. 88, issue 6, pages 2191-2200, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.01.010.
- K. Steemers and S. Manchanda, (2010), ‘Energy efficient design and occupant well-being: Case studies in the UK and India’, Building and Environment, Volume 45, Issue 2, February 2010, pp. 270-278, doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2009.08.025.
- K. Steemers and G. Y. Yun, (2009), 'Household energy consumption: a study of the role of occupants', Building Research and Information, vol 38(1), pp. 625 – 637, doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2010.09.021.